To achieve QTS trainees must demonstrate that they meet the Teachers’ Standards. This is assessed throughout the year in various ways:
- Assessed school experience (placements) including lesson planning, informal and formal teaching observations, and mentor meetings;
- Evidence bundles in the Reflective Portfolio which show how students have made progress over time;
- A QA Link Tutor visit once a term to moderate the judgements of mentors in placement schools;
- Interim and End-of-Placement Reports;
- During the final assessment period through a Final Assessment Presentation and interview;
- Through External Moderation of the SCITT.
PGCE Assessment is carried out by Sheffield Hallam University according to their criteria. Trainees will receive a copy of this at the start of the training programme once they have secured a place on the course.